And when it comes to home design, many are rethinking if that two story home with a full basement and the double car garage will be the place they will live in the years to come.
For some, making the change to an accessible home is on their agenda but some don't have a clue how to begin.
So what would make the perfect home for boomers? We think we have a few ideas.
(1) Single story homes or at least all the major rooms on one level such as the "eat-in" great kitchen, the master bedroom and bath, the laundry room as starters.... plus at least one guest suite with a fully accessible bathroom.
(2) Big windows for more light and large glass doorways that provide ways to more directly connect with the outdoors. And better interior lighting since as we age, we need more illumination. Consider using warm-colored LED lighting that has a long life expectancy.
(3) Bigger is better when it comes to doors and halls, too. And rather than doors that might get into the way, consider pocket or sliding door panels that make it easy to move about the rooms. And don't forget to include barrier-free access for guests who might come visit... so at least one no-step entry up to the home.
(4) Some would suggest home offices. But consider that more and more we connect to the Internet wirelessly so rather than have a formal desk, chair and file space,... make the home office more of a retreat where reading the news on the iPad is more comfortable in a chair and ottoman than sitting for hours at a desk.
(5) Using technology will make everyone's lives easier. Consider thermostats that are smart to know when rooms are occupied,... door deadbolts that recognize who you are thru your fingerprint,... and wireless internet cameras that notify us when something unusual has occurred while away from home.
There are many other choices but we'd like to know what are your thoughts about the perfect Boomer home? Leave us a comment and we will include it in our list.
Also check us out on Facebook. You can add you comments about the perfect boomer home right there. --> www.facebook.com/stayinplace